To ensure a safe virtual meeting environment, it is imperative that all Zoom meetings be configured with the appropriate security settings. Correctly applying security settings in your meetings is essential to reduce the chance of having uninvited and unwelcome meeting participants. All Zoom users should login to https://vbschools.zoom.us to verify all meetings have the appropriate security settings applied.
DOT highly recommends creating all new meeting links for SY21-22.
Apply the appropriate security settings to new and existing meetings:
- For existing meetings, go to the Upcoming Meetings section and click Edit for each meeting.
- Locate the Security section and ensure that “Require Authentication to Join” is enabled (it is disabled in the image shown immediately below).
- Once enabled and the meeting is saved, the meeting settings will show “Require Authentication to Join: Secure Classroom” (see image). This will ensure that only participants with accounts in the domains shown below will be able to join your meeting.
- For new meetings, configure the security settings in the exact same manner. For instructional staff all new meetings are defaulted to Classlink authentication.
- IMPORTANT: Provide the Zoom meeting link to your participants (do not share links on social media). Once they authenticate with Classlink they will automatically join the meeting. DOT highly recommends each VBCPS host delete meetings from the previous school year and create new Zoom meetings for any need in SY21-22.
Invite trusted individuals from outside VBCPS to join secure meeting
IMPORTANT: Note also that with this setting enabled, “Authentication Exception – Add” will also appear below this field. Use the ‘Add’ feature to invite trusted individuals from outside VBCPS to join this secure meeting.
- Click Add – New window will open. Enter the guest email address(es) and click Save.
- Click ‘Add Participant’ to add multiple guest email addresses simultaneously if needed
- Once saved, you will see the authentication exceptions allowed to this secure meeting. Click ‘Edit’ to add or remove guests as needed. Invited guest accounts will receive an email to join the meeting.
Additional In Meeting Security Options
Additional In-Meeting security related options for use by the host and co-host during a Zoom meeting can be accessed at the bottom of the screen as shown below. Being aware of these options and all that they provide can help teachers/hosts quickly stop any meeting disruption that may occur. More information is available here.